Cristo Rey San Diego High School seeks a committed, mission-driven, innovative, collaborative, and student/family-centered Director of Recruitment and Enrollment for a brand-new Catholic high school. The Director will spend a “launch year” recruiting students and mobilizing the school’s surrounding community before the school opens with its first class of 9th grade students in the Summer of 2020. The Director reports directly to the school’s President, and serves as a critical member of the school’s leadership team.
About the school:
Cristo Rey San Diego High School is a 9-12 Catholic learning community that educates young people of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose and service. Through a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, integrated with a relevant work-study experience, students graduate ready to succeed in college and in life. Cristo Rey San Diego High School will be a part of the largest network of high schools in the country that exclusively serve low-income youth. As a part of the Cristo Rey Network (CRN), Cristo Rey schools adhere to a set of Mission Effectiveness Standards to protect the integrity of the model and articulate the shared mission. Cristo Rey San Diego High School is scheduled to welcome freshman students to campus the summer of 2020. Classes for sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be added one year at a time towards a full capacity of 500 students by fall of 2023.
About the position:
The Director of Recruitment and Enrollment designs and manages the entire application process for prospective students and families, from strategic outreach and personable recruitment efforts to systematized plans enrollment and matriculation. The Director articulates the mission and programs of the school to various stakeholders in the local community, including students and families, community and religious leaders, school principals and counselors, etc. The Director is often the first point of contact for prospective students and families to the school, and therefore fosters enthusiasm throughout the application process, while maintaining organized data on all applicants. The Director continues to engage the local community throughout the year to help build the school as a key player and collaborator in the community. The position does require flexibility on time being available on occasional weekends and evenings. Candidates should be comfortable with presentations to families and quarterly reporting to the school’s Board of Directors.
Recruitment and Outreach
• Proactively develop external partnerships with feeder schools, community and religious leaders, and civic organizations; schedule and conduct recruitment presentations; promote the overall visibility of Cristo Rey in the community.
• Design the comprehensive recruitment strategy to yield students of the Cristo Rey profile, and execute to meet enrollment goals.
• Develop and execute calendar of events including Open Houses, Interview Days, Exam Days, and Shadow Days.
• Recruit and train Student Ambassadors (once we have students) to assist at recruitment events and give school tours.
• Respond to telecommunicate, online, and in-person inquiries in a personal, professional and timely manner.
• Develop programs such as parent recruiting incentives or admissions newsletter with school news to build interest and excitement about Cristo Rey.
• Manage and refine all processes and procedures to attract and retain students and families; manage all communications with prospective families.
• Track touch points and follow-up to facilitate a maximum number of completed applications; maintain enrollment database, and execute timeline for admissions-related materials and communications to schools and prospective families.
• Assist families through the financial aid process, including the completion of tax credit scholarship program applications.
• Annually update and maintain standardized documents for application, teacher evaluations, requests for records, and interview feedback.
• Prepare files for review and facilitate the work of the Admissions Committee.
• Maintain ongoing analysis of trends in applications and enrollment, and prepare updates regular updates for the President, Board of Directors, and Cristo Rey Network.
• Develop marketing and communication strategies to promote the school to prospective students and families, and community-based partner organizations.
• Maintain a visible presence in the local community and maintain strong collaborative relationships with key community partners and stakeholders.
• Maintain positive relationships with parents of enrolled students and utilize relationships to ensure school satisfaction and student referrals; develop and implement strategies for parent engagement and family involvement in the school.
School Leadership and Collaboration
• Serve as a contributing member of the school’s founding leadership team; demonstrate a willingness to support the success of the school outside of the specific role and responsibilities listed here.
• Oversee the build-out of the Admissions Team; mobilize key members of the school who will serve as the Admissions Committee, and lead the team through decision-making processes regarding admissions.
• Collaborate with the school’s academic team, Dean of Students, and counseling team on student and family background information in best supporting students.
• Attend and participate in Cristo Rey Network programs for Admissions (Recruitment / Enrollment) Directors or other programs; serve as a collaborative member of the Cristo Rey Network nationwide.
• Flexibility, energy, stamina, and foresight to successfully navigate in a start-up school.
• Strong collaboration with others and the ability to systematically gather input prior to developing strategies and solutions.
• Openness to feedback and to using feedback to inform one’s professional practice.
• Ability to think critically and reflectively and to prioritize multiple projects and requests effectively.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Highest level of professionalism, including handling confidential information.
• Bachelor’s degree with knowledge and experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• At least five years successful experience within education and / or community organizing.
• Spanish fluency required.
• Deep belief in and commitment to our students, and demonstrated ability to connect with low-income students and families.
• Exception interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills.
• Strong personal alignment with and commitment to the Cristo Rey mission and Catholic education.
• Experience with database software and other relevant technologies.
All interested and qualified applicants with a passion for Cristo Rey’s mission are invited to apply by September 30, 2019. Please email your resume and cover letter noting what attracts you to the Cristo Rey mission to email@example.com.